The generally shallow waters of Lake Katchewanooka are surprisingly warm and inviting in June.
- Athletes must wear their Lakefield Triathlon swim cap at all times when on, in or near the water, including warm-up and cool-down.
- Athletes must exit at the beach, and if they elect to withdraw from the race during the swim, must check-in at the beach to notify appropriate event crew.
- Diving is only permitted from the dock and while under the supervision of the start official. Diving is strictly prohibited at all other times and locations.
- Swimming when not-competing is only permitted in the designated warm-up area and while under the supervision of an event crew lifeguard.
- Only athletes being marshalled for a swim start are allowed in the start area (beach).
- If there is an emergency requiring evacuation of the water, the boathouse bell will be wrung continuously and all athletes must swim immediately toward shore and gather at the beach.
For 8–9, 10–11, 12–13, 14–15, and 16–19 age groups — Beginning with a beach start, athletes will swim clockwise with buoys on their right turning back toward shore at their final buoy before exiting at the beach and running to transition.
For 4–5 and 6–7 age groups — Beginning with a beach start, athletes will swim clockwise with buoys on their right turning back toward shore at their final buoy before exiting at the beach and running uphill to transition.
All details of the swim are subject to change, including courses and distances, as dictated by the conditions, rules, and race officials.